Saturday, January 2, 2010

How do you present yourself offline?

I have been diligently preparing for what I hope will be a slew of interviews in the next few weeks for what will end up being my dream job as an executive leader in the Cleveland area. I've checked the job boards, uploaded my resume, secured recommendations and gave my references a heads up. I'm ready for an interview, but I'm not really. When I walk in the office for a face to face interview and answer a question with "google me," I'm guessing it won't go over very well.

We all know the job market is tough, that's why it's incredibly important that you standout during the interview. You show up for the interview, you're dressed appropriately, you've researched the company, you have a mental list of questions and a copy of your resume ready to share, checklist complete. The only problem is that everyone else has the same checklist. Note to those that don't do those things, you should.

If you are going for a job that requires leadership, organization, and experience with an expectation of being a level above the rest you simply can't just do the minimum. If you are an online junkie you may mistakenly believe all people are online savvy and that your blogs, recommendations and articles are on the screen as you walk into the interview. The fact is that not everyone embraces online marketing or has time to do the research before meeting you. Therefore, you need to bring your online presence offline.

I recommend a clear presentation cover with the front page stating your name and the position you are applying. You can then use dividers to separate the different pieces of information, for example; resume, recommendations (copied from LinkedIn or individual letters), references (names of those not on LinkedIn), awards, certificates, and basically anything that helps support why they should hire you. I believe providing a profile of your strengths offers a competitive edge. I have taken the iPRADCO High5, a behaviorally based index, and like to share those results. Since not everyone is aware of the company, I include a link (www.ipradco.com) to the site and some information from the website to give the employer a little background. Always have more than one copy of your presentation available. Lastly, don't forget to follow up with a thank you note.

I can't guarantee this will land you the job and I really hope it doesn't if we're going for the same one; but I do know you will look a lot more put together if you give it a try. If you do hear of any open positions, feel free to pass them on.

Perk Up Cleveland, I hear the job market is suppose to be much better in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment